maandag 15 december 2014

Recommendations from Peggy for December 2014.

In order to bring some more variety to my blog, I have asked some of my bookish friends to tell about the books they have in the past month, and to give us a recommendation. Today’s post is made by Peggy from Belgium.

Peggy:

I have read 7 novels in the past month, and the 3 books I enjoyed the most are:

1. Anna Campbell - Her Christmas earl

 photo w554161_zps3bc6f633.jpg

2. Anthology: Christmas brides – Suzanne Enoch, Alexandra Hawkins, Valerie Bowman
and Elizabeth Essex


 photo w511575_zps7e78cb3f.jpg

3. L.H. Cosway - Still life with strings

 photo 20725005_zps72105fcc.jpg


1. Anna Campbell - Her Christmas earl

 photo w554161_zpsd93d6500.jpg

No good deed goes unpunished...
To save her hen-witted sister from scandal, Philippa Sanders ventures into a rake's bedroom - and into his power. Now her reputation hangs by a thread and only a hurried marriage can rescue her. Is the Earl of Erskine the heartless libertine the world believes? Or will Philippa discover unexpected honor in a man notorious for his wild ways?
Blair Hume, the dissolute Earl of Erskine, has had his eye on the intriguing Miss Sanders since he arrived at this deadly dull house party. Now a reckless act delivers this beguiling woman into his hands as a delightful Christmas gift. Is fate offering him a fleeting Yuletide diversion? Or will this Christmas Eve encounter spark a passion that lasts a lifetime?


My favourite time of the year is here. Throughout the year I’m always on the lookout for Christmas stories. I must confess that I’m a romantic woman and I love nothing more than reading Christmas stories in the weeks before Christmas. And not only reading about it but I also listen to Christmas songs (and decorate the house for Christmas). As you can read, I’m really into the Christmas spirit at the moment.

So, when I discovered a Christmas story from one of my favourite writers, I naturally have to read it. And like always I really loved this story from Anna Campbell. Who wouldn’t want to be locked up in a closet with a handsome rake? I’m sure we all would love that. It’s certainly a different way of meeting someone and it changes a dull house party into an very interesting Christmas party. Philippa and Blair were both very lovely characters. I, especially liked the end of this story. It was the perfect end of a lovely story.

Another book I really enjoyed this month was the anthology ‘Christmas brides’. All four stories were wonderful reads. They’re four different stories about Christmas and finding love. I really love the combination of regency and Christmas. One of the traditions I love in these books, is the kissing under the mistletoe. Especially if it is a handsome man. (I wouldn’t mind kissing one under a mistletoe!)

Most Christmas stories are novellas. Those aren’t always easy to write but all the writers mentioned above did an excellent job of it.

This book has nothing to do with Christmas but it’s a wonderful read. I discovered this story ‘Still life with strings’ from L.H. Cosway in the anthology ‘Rockers after dark’. L.H. Cosway is a new writer for me. The writer has a special way of writing that is truly unique (at least that is what I think). Although her stories deal with ‘dark secrets and difficult subjects’, the writing is never dark. She managed to create a story about two people who aren’t perfect but they are perfect for each other. Her books take place in Ireland, that’s also different from most books. Like I said, I love this story very much and I’m very happy that I have discovered this writer.

This was my last review for 2014.

I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope that 2015 will be a fantastic year with lots of love, wonders and magic and filled with many wonderful books to read.

Love, Peggy

Aurian: Thanks for the recommendation Peggy! I am also a big fan of Christmas stories, but I can read them all year long. In fact, I just finished a Valentine’s Day anthology themed around hot chocolate. And as your book has a Suzanne Enoch story in it, I really need to have this one as well.
How about you ladies, do you like Christmas in your books this time of year?



© 2014 Reviews by Aurian


15 opmerkingen:

  1. All of these titles are new to me, although I am curious about the Christmas Brides anthology. I'm not familiar with any of the authors listed, so this would be a great way to sample their writing AND get into the holiday spirit.

    Carmel @ Rabid Reads

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. The authors in the Christmas Brides were also new to me and an anthology is indeed a great way to get to know them. I hope you like them too.

      Verwijderen
  2. I am a sucker for holiday romances too. To me they seem more magical or perhaps probable.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Oh novellas are perfect holiday reads for me. I think there is a couple I need to checkout.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Still Life with Strings looks amazing! I'll have to check it out, Peggy, thanks!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. I need Still Life with Strings! I used to play violin so the cover itself drew me in lol

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. I don't play any instruments, I regret that. I really love listening to people play them.

      Verwijderen
  6. I hope you like her book as much as I did ;o)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  7. I have (and read!) the Anna Campbell novella. I liked it too. I'm also a great lover of Xmas stories at this time of year. The Christmas brides anthology sounds good. I'll try that one too. Have a happy holiday!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Maya, I know you're also a great Anna Campbell fan. I thought you would have read this Christmas story of too. Great to hear that you're also a great fan of Christmas stories. I hope you like the Christmas brides anthology too. Wishing you a wonderful holiday too!

      Verwijderen